Monday, September 3, 2007

Fun with zucchini

Edited to ask for help/suggestions at the end.
Yep, it's that time of year again. The time when you must lock your car doors for fear of being 'gifted' somebody's surplus zucchini. Although we are usually on the receiving end, this year we get to be the zucchini donors - even though we only have one zucchini plant.

There are a number of creative things to do with this gargantuan green veggie.

I started my very first recipe collection when I was just 12 years old. This recipe is one I still use (& still have in my 12 year old scrawl). I have modified it somewhat by adding half a package of semi-sweet mini chips and baking the batter in these mini cake pans or in my mini loaf pans.



Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 c. oil
2 c. sugar
2 c. zucchini, finely grated
3 tsp. vanilla
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. chopped nuts (very optional)
1/2 pkg. semi sweet mini chips

Beat eggs until light & foamy. Add oil, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla. Mix lightly, but well. Sift dry ingredients together and add. Mix until well blended. Pour into 2 loaf pans (greased and floured, of course) and bake for 1 hour at 350.

Use a plastic knife to separate the bread from the sides of the pan and place on cooling rack. Spread butter on top of each loaf while warm. My kids love a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the warm mini bundt cakes.

*If you decide to bake the mini loaves or mini bundt cakes, they only need 20-25 minutes.
(this same recipe made 8 mini loaves and 6 mini bundt cakes - yum!)
Any suggestions for how to make this recipe healthier? More waist-friendly?

5 comments:

Scribbit said...

LOVE zucchini-it actually will grow here too!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I love zucchini bread. I'll try this one.

Lisa said...

Hi! I'm here from Elizabeth W's post and the bread sounds yummy!

You posted your menu for this week over at EW's and I was wondering if you would mind sending me your sundried tomato chicken recipe? It sounds really good.

Lisa M. said...

That is very similar to my bread recipe.

Yum.

Here is one for you.

1 cube of butter
1/2 cup diced onions

sautée onions in butter until browned and tender. (Caramelized)

Mix 1 cup sour cream, 1 can cream of chicken soup 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

Add onions
Add 6 cups sliced (1/8 inch thick) zuchinii

top with stove top stuffing (follow package directions) and spread on top

bake 350 for about 30 minutes.

I add chicken for a whole meal, or have used it as a side dish.

Heffalump said...

My recipe for zucchini is not really good FOR you, but it is oh so good.
I cheat and use a tempura batter mix. I know its not really hard to make the batter myself, but there is something about just adding water...
First set aside a plate of grated parmesan cheese.
Then slice the zucchini into rounds...I like them on the thin side. Next coat them in tempura and fry them in oil (about 350 degrees)until they begin to turn golden. Remove them from the oil with a fork or slotted spoon and shake off the excess oil. Place the hot zucchini on the plate of parmesan. The cheese will melt onto the zucchini and it is heavenly. If I am not too rushed I will turn the zucchini over on the plate so that it gets cheese on both sides.