Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Paper Ghosts


One of our family traditions comes from my childhood. My mom has always been creative, and I love that about her. Our house had something no one else's did when it came time for Halloween - Ghosts in the windows.

Some of them were genuinely spooky looking and some were more friendly - basically, the older we got, the scarier they got. She would draw, and then cut out a ghostly shape on white butcher paper (get this from your local school or copy store) and then cut out circles or ovals for their eyes. There were various sizes and they would appear to be peeking out from the sides of the windows or from the window sill. My mom put some in nearly every window; it was great, spooky fun.

Pictures to follow - we have some ghost surgery to perform. If you laminate them, you can store them rolled up in a poster mailing tube ready for next year's haunting.

Check out the other Halloween ideas up at Scribbit's Winter Bazaar
and the other Works for me Wednesday tips at Rocks in My Dryer

11 comments:

athena said...

maybe i'll get my act together and do some decorating for halloween. can't wait to see the pics.

SAHMmy Says said...

Sounds fun! How do you stick them on?

Millie said...

Really cute idea!

Anonymous said...

We always had homemade decorations too! I'm going to be making some with the boys this weekend.

Kathleen said...

We did home-made decorations as a kid too. I still have most of them now that I have my own house!

Ice Cream said...

Oooo, I bet if you did them with black paper it would make great window silhouettes at night when the lights are on.

Mrs. O said...

Athena - I'd love to see your house 'haunted' with decorations

Sahmmy - we just use scotch tape

Mrs. O said...

ice cream - that might scare even me!

Mrs. O said...

ice cream - that might scare even me!

Anonymous said...

I want to try this -- I must see the pictures, as I am craft-challenged. Like, do you cut out an entire ghost, if he's just going to be peeking?

Scribbit said...

Who needs paper snowflakes when you can have paper ghosts? How clever of your mother, and the laminating idea makes it even better.