Edited to add directions for Cocoa's pajama pants method (at the bottom)
I've decided that this is the year of the pants. I have thought that little girl bloomers with ruffles were darling for the longest time. Last week I bought a pattern to sew these red bloomers - except I forgot that my kiddos tend to have short legs and longer torsos, so these ended up being full length pants with ruffles.
After reading Cocoa's post on a having a Homemade Christmas, I wrote and asked her about her favorite pattern for making pajama pants. She let me in on a great method for making some without a pattern. Here's my attempt, I think they turned out great. I just added the ruffle at the bottom, because I couldn't help myself.
I guess I will have to exercise some restraint when I make some for the boys.
The best thing about these pants is that they fit her perfectly - 10 times better than the bloomers made with a pattern.
To see what others are TATing about, visit Lara at The Lazy Organizer
Directions for Pajama Pants Cocoa's Way:
Just use a pair of each child's pants to cut out the patterns for each of their PJ's. It's a lot simpler that way.
Just fold the pants in half (back to back) and cut around it with about an inch extra on the sides and bottom and about 2 inches on the top (for the elastic). That becomes the front pieces.
Then fold the pants front to front, cut around it the same way and create the back pieces. Here's the order to sew the pants:
1. Sew inseams (fronts to backs)
2. Sew the crotch seam next, matching the backs together and the fronts together.
3. Then do the weird little flip so that you sew the side seams together (fronts to backs).
4. Next I do elastic casing - fold top edge 1/4 of an inch then fold again 1 inch down. Sew leaving an opening for the elastic.
5. Hem the bottom of the legs last. (I changed this and sewed the ruffle on before sewing the side seams in step #3).
For the ruffle, I just cut a strip 2 inches wide by about 1 1/2 times the width of the legs, folded it in half, pressed it, sewed a basting stitch along the top, gathered it to fit the pant leg, pinned it, and sewed it on. I ironed the ruffle seam and then topstitched just above it on the right side).
I also topstitched along the top of the waistband and zig-zagged the edges of all the seams. Another big thanks to Cocoa for all her help on this project! If I can sew this - you can too!